The Church of the Most Holy Trinity by Fritz Wotruba
The Church of the Most Holy Trinity or Wotruba Church, as it is better known, was designed by the sculptor Fritz Wotruba (1907-1975) and lies in the 23rd district of Vienna. It was conceived in 1964, but not completed until after his death in 1976, with Fritz G. Mayr being the architect of record.
It is interesting to know that the design was conceived before the site was selected. This is of note because the site adds so much to the power of the piece. This seemingly random stack of 152 concrete elements stands simultaneously in harmony and in contrast with its context. The architecture holds a sense of contradiction because the site is on the very edge of Vienna, on a hill, with a commanding view back to the city, surrounded by trees and the subtle sounds of rustling leaves – yet the structure is composed of rough formed concrete elements. Nevertheless the looseness of the composition of traditionally urban concrete materiality allows the church to seem at home within its more rustic surroundings.
CJWHO: facebook | twitter | pinterest | subscribe